The leather-bound, heirloom version of The Oak and Serpent is now available. It is being sold at cost, with no profit added. Please click on this image to order.
The Oak and Serpent is a 718-page, comprehensive history of the O’Sullivan / Sullivan Clan, from its mythological origin as revealed in the ancient annals, through the Middle Ages, and up to the twenty-first century. A detailed history and genealogy of all the O’Sullivan sub-septs is provided, including the O’Sullivan Beare, the O’Sullivan Mór, the O’Sullivan McGillycuddy, and the O’Sullivan MhicRaith.
The definitive meaning of the name is revealed, as deciphered by Ireland’s leading experts in the Gaelic language. O’Sullivan heraldry is explained, the history of all 32 castles associated with the O’Sullivan clan is reviewed, and several legends peculiar to the O’Sullivan family are presented.
Information concerning the O’Sullivan Clan organization is shared with an invitation for everyone named O’Sullivan or Sullivan to join. The clan tartan, battle flag, song, and flower are discussed, and a thorough Clan Hall of Fame introduces the family’s celebrities.
The O’Sullivan / Sullivan yDNA Project is explained, along with its mission to identify to which O’Sullivan / Sullivan sub-sept everyone with the name belongs. 39 full color plates provide exquisite illustrations of the maps, arms, ancient dress, and regalia of the clan.
The Ó Súilleabháin family is the oldest recorded royal bloodline of western civilization. Its noble blood has christened the battlefields of the world for thousands of years. The family has produced paupers and kings, priests and pirates, and scientists and wizards. It has fought its many battles with both pen and sword. It has survived the hazards of prehistoric Europe; the Egyptian, Greek, and Roman empires; the Dark Ages; the plagues; the Vikings; the Anglo-Normans; the Cromwellian holocaust and its crippling aftermath; the potato famine (An Gorta Mór); and two world wars. The Ó Súilleabháin clan is known for its ability to adapt, and it enters the new millennium strong, intact, and poised to regain its ancestral power.
This heirloom edition is fully bound in rich black leather and embellished with Celtic knot-work gold stamping framing the Seal of Milesius, the official seal of the clan. The raised bands across the spine are distinctive of the classic bookmaker’s art. Colorful end leaves are reminiscent of fine Old-World editions. Coordinating headbands grace both ends of the spine and add strength. The acid-free leaves are smyth-sewn; their edges are gilded for additional protection and elegance. A permanent satin ribbon marker ensures easy reference.
The E-Book version of the Second Edition of The Oak and Serpent is now available at Lulu.com! Please click on image to purchase.
The Seal of Milesius: Official Seal of the Ó Súilleabháin Clann of Munster.
The Ó Súilleabháin Clann of Munster is recognized by Finte na hÉireann ~ Clans of Ireland, the official representative organization of Irish Clans to the Government of Ireland, the United Nations, and the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs. To visit the Finte na hÉireann ~ Clans of Ireland web page please click on the logo below.
Welcome to the Ó Súilleabháin Clann of Munster, the most senior tribe of the royal Eoghanacht.
Please explore our site and discover the Ó Súilleabháin tartan, the Ó Súilleabháin battleflag, the Ó Súilleabháin flower (the Blackthorn Rose), the Ó Súilleabháin planxty, the armorial shield of the Ó Súilleabháin Mór, and the sundry Ó Súilleabháin keeps and castles.
Dunderry Castle in Spring.
Mission of the Ó Súilleabháin Clann of Munster
1. To preserve and promote the tribal identity of the Ó Súilleabháin clan.
2. To preserve and promote the Gaelic identity of the Ó Súilleabháin clan, including the language, music, art, history, literature, theology, philosophy, myths, and legends of the Milesian Celts.
3. To support any historical research that reveals the manners and customs of our ancestors.
4. To identify, recognize, and honor our ancestors.
5. To support yDNA research that supports the Milesian tradition and the noble pedigrees of the Ó Súilleabháin clan and to counter any proposals that contradict the beliefs of our ancestors.
6. To preserve and promote the tribal identity of the Ó Súilleabháin MhicRaith sept (Sliocht MhicRaith), including its birthright to the title, ‘The Ó Súilleabháin Mór, Hereditary Chief of the Name’, upon the extinction of the Ó Súilleabháin MhicRuairi line.
7. To establish and maintain a fully functional Gelfhine, Derbhfine, Íarfine, and Indfhine to administer the affairs of the Ó Súilleabháin Clan of Munster.
8. To identify the legitimate Righ-damhna of the clan and to duly elect ‘The Ó Súilleabháin Mór, Hereditary Chief of the Name’ from the body of the said recognized Righ-damhna.
9. To follow the Laws of Tanistry in the conduct of the clan as interpreted and determined by the Derbhfine.
10. To commission the Derbhfine to identify and officially recognize the legitimate standing Irish clan chiefs and to seek and establish formal relations between the clans.
10. To seek and establish formal relations between the clans and other royal houses of the world, particularly the noble courts of Europe.
11. To promote the world-wide recognition of the Gaelic Chief, and his Derbhfine, as a non-regnant monarch and his ‘privy council’ of dynastic ‘princes du sang’ (princes of the blood).
12. To embrace and defend the sacred relationship between the Irish clans and their ancestral lands.
12. To aggressively counter any and all anti-clan rhetoric and propaganda.
The Ó Súilleabháin Clann of Munster, Copyright 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.